Ask the Expert

Click to Ask Josh a Question!
Click to Ask Josh Your Question!
Josh Clark, RATH® Area of Refuge Director of Sales
Josh Clark
Director of Sales
800-451-1460 Ext. 155

Is an Area of Refuge required
in a multi-story building that has a 24 hour supervised sprinkler system?

Area of Refuge in a multi story building

This is a question we hear often.

Referencing IBC 1007 gives you the information needed to answer this common question.

If a building has a supervised sprinkler system, you do not need a physical area for an Area of Refuge in the stairwell because the entire floor would be considered an Area of Refuge at that point.

IBC 1007.3 reads, "Stairways shall either incorporate an Area of Refuge within an enlarged floor level landing or shall be assessed from an Area of Refuge".

The first exception listed states Areas of Refuge are not required at stairways in buildings equipped throughout by an automatic sprinkler system.
Although you would not need the physical Areas of Refuge in this situation, the building still requires a Two-Way Communication System in the elevator landings to meet IBC 1007.8 requirements. 1007.8 reads, “A Two-Way Communication System shall be provided at the elevator landing on each accessible floor that is one or more stories above or below the story of exit discharge”.

To summarize, if any building has a supervised sprinkler system with no means of egress out of the building (includes two story buildings or larger, and one story buildings with basements that have no means of egress) it would require Two-Way Communication in the elevator landing on these levels. The building would not require the physical “Area of Refuge” in the stairwells because of the supervised sprinkler system in the facility.

"Area of Rescue Assistance Systems provided under IBC 2009 (1007.6.3/1007.8) and also referenced in NFPA 72 (24.5.3) are required to comply with the pathway survivability described in
Where level 2 survivability is achieved using 2-hour fire rated cable (Mineral Insulated Cable), is it compatible for use with any of your systems?
I believe the smallest MI cable available is 18 gauge."
Refuge Wire Communication Cable

All of our systems are used on a regular basis not only with CI & MI cable but also with 18 gauge. We recommend 22 or 24 gauge because it is readily available and it is easier to make the connections. With that being said, 18 gauge will still work great with our systems.

"If a building does not have a 24 hour attended area, where would an Area of Refuge Call Box dial?
Does the building owner have to provide a monitoring service or can the phone just dial 911 or the fire department?"
Call Boxes typically call 911

IBC 1007.8 states that the Call Box shall call a remote monitoring location or 911 if the Base Station is not manned 24/7. Typically, we see it call remote monitoring locations but occasionally will see it go to 911.

"Are there minimum dB requirements for audible signals at the Two-Way Communication stations? If so, can you please clarify this decibel level, and the code citation for this requirement?"

Below is a reference from NFPA Chapter 24 from the 2010 Code. There is no requirement, just a suggestion. The decibel level depends on the environment that the stations are in.

"The ECS system designer cannot control all of these factors, but he or she must design the system to compensate for those factors not under his or her control. The designer must address background noise or ‘ambient noise levels’ as part of the design. In order for the system to meet the intelligibility goals, the system must have an adequate signal-to-noise ratio. If the system provides a speech signal at least 15 dB higher than the ambient noise level, this will minimize the intelligibility loss from the ambient noise levels."

"Does the installation of an Area of Refuge system require any special certifications? I have a feeling that it falls under Life Safety and requires a Fire Alarm Installation License, but I figured that I'd ask the Experts."

We sell through Low Voltage Contractors all over the country. Typically, fire guys are our larger volume dealers and it really depends on the municipality on how they want the system submitted. It is best to reach out to the AHJs on your projects (Fire Marshal). Ask them if they have a specific form, if it is part of the fire permit, or if it is under the life safety aspect. It seems to be different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

"The 2015 IBC 1009.8 Exception 5 states that Two-Way Communication Systems are not required at the landing serving a private residence elevator.
I am working on a 4 story, 55 unit apartment building and the contractor says a system is not needed because the elevator serves private residences. Do you have any insight as to the intent of Exception 5?"

The 2015 IBC 1009.8 Exception 5 is referencing a multi-story, single family home. An elevator in an apartment building or condominium is considered a public use elevator, so a Two-Way Communication System is required.

"I have a customer pushing back on using a RATH® Two-Way Communication System because they feel that a product they use in other locations of their facilities can accomplish the same thing. Can you please give me some reasons why an Emergency Intercom will not work for an Elevator Landing Two-Way Communication application?"

Your customer’s existing intercom product won’t be IBC or NFPA code compliant if it does not meet the following criteria:
  • Must meet the NFPA 72 requirement for battery back-up
  • Must meet the NFPA 72 requirement for supervision
  • If the building is level 2 or 3 survivability, 2 hour rated cable is required for the application
  • A location message must play after the button is pushed

  • We guarantee that our Area of Refuge and Two-Way Communication Systems are fully code compliant.